Resources - FAQ
What should I do in the event of an accident?
- First and foremost make sure you and your family / passengers are not injured. If in doubt call the emergency services on 999 or 112.
- Take down the details of all parties to the incident:
- Vehicle registrations.
- Vehicle insurance details (look at the insurance disc in the car window).
- Contact telephone numbers for all drivers involved.
- Did anyone witness the accident? If so take down their contact information also.
- Provide your details to any party to the incident who requests them.
- If it is safe to do so take photographs of the scene of the incident (use your mobile phone).
- Call Setanta Insurance's 24 hour Helpline on 0818 255 255.
- Accept liability for the accident.
- Sign any document prepared by any party to the incident.
- Complete the necessary claim form from our website or alternatively your Broker or the Setanta Insurance Claims Centre will issue one to you in the post.
- Return the completed form along with a copy of both sides of the drivers licence to your Broker in a timely manner.
- When asked to do so, present your vehicle to your local Aligned Repairer or have your garage prepare and estimate for the cost of the repairs. Towing can be arranged if required.
- You may need to meet with some agents appointed by Setanta Insurance, e.g.
- Motor engineer
- Loss adjustor
- The Claims Centre agents will ask you a number of questions relating to the incident and may request the following documentation from you:
- A copy of your vehicle Licencing Certificate (previously called the logbook).
- A copy of your DOE or NCT certificate.
- A document confirming your VAT status (where applicable).
- If you have any queries contact your Broker or call our Claims Centre on 0818 255 255.
Do I need to contact the Gardai after an accident involving my vehicle?
If you have been involved in an accident you should report the accident to the Gardai.
What happens if my vehicle is stolen?
You must notify the Gardai immediately then call your Broker or our Claims Centre on 0818 255 255. They will give you all the necessary support and information you need.
Who repairs my vehicle?
You can choose to have your vehicle repaired yourself, or use our Aligned Repairer service. If you use our Aligned Repairers, one of our garages in our nationwide panel will repair your vehicle. These garages have been appointed to provide the highest customer service and quality of repairs for our customers. All repairs carried out are guaranteed for 3 years. See Claims Centre for further details.
What happens if I want to use my own repairer?
No problem, however you will not be entitled to the benefits of our Aligned Repairer service.
What is a total loss/write off?
If the cost of repairs exceed the market value of the vehicle (less the salvage value) then it is likely we will consider it to be beyond economic repair. This is often referred to as a write off.
If your vehicle has sustained significant damage and cannot be put back on the road for safety reasons, this is referred to as a total loss.
If my vehicle is a total loss / write off, what will I receive in settlement?
You will receive the current market value of your vehicle, less the salvage value and any applicable excess. We will also give you the necessary details to enable you to dispose of the vehicle.
How long will it take to sort out my claim?
Our aim is to deal with your claim in the shortest time possible. You can help speed up the process by completing and returning your claim form and other required documentation in a timely manner.
What is a policy excess?
The policy excess is the amount we ask you to contribute towards the cost of a claim for accidental damage under your comprehensive policy. The standard excess on all Setanta Insurance car and van insurance policies is €250 but may be higher in certain cases.
What happens if the accident was not my fault?
If the accident is not your fault you can pursue the other driver's insurance company. Alternatively we can handle your comprehensive claim and pursue the recovery from the other driver's insurance company on your behalf to ensure your no claims bonus is not affected.
What happens if the accident was my fault?
We will handle your comprehensive claim and the other driver's claim as quickly and efficiently as possible. If you receive any correspondence from the other driver or their insurance company, please forward it to us and we will respond to them on your behalf.
What if the other driver disputes the accident circumstances?
We will discuss in detail the circumstances of the accident with you or your Broker and we will investigate the accident fully. Disputes will be resolved by negotiation where possible. If we can't resolve a dispute, it is possible that we will need to revert to a dispute resolution procedure or court of law.